Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Finding the positive in a "bad day"

        So it has been nearly 24 years since my surgery, and I've never really had any incidents. That is until today.  Now it wasn't really life threatening or dangerous, but it was not pleasant at all.
        Today I went in for a liver biopsy, which until today I went about 17 years without needing to get one done.  Now I don't do well with needles so the mere thought of a big needle going into my side to take out a piece of my liver turned my stomach. But in this case it means possibly getting off my medication. So I was willing to find that out.
        This typical procedure is supposed to be pretty fast and routine, which it was.  However things kind of took a nose dive when my wife and were leaving. I became extremely light headed, and began sweating profusely. As a twist of fate we had turned the wrong way and some doctors were there and quickly realized what was happening. I had gone into shock from the procedure, and before I knew it I was surrounded by nurses and fellows and radiologists.  They got me hooked up to monitors  and an IV. They kept trying to get my blood pressure and it kept reading an error, which usually  means that it can't get a high enough reading.  They finally started to get my blood pressure at 104/45.  They kept checking it until it leveled out at about 138/80. I spent a couple more hours at the hospital and was finally able to go home.
       The rest of the day was spent with my wife, son, and brothers-in-law watching Robocop, Black Sheep, and a few scenes of Rio. Also I took a day of from eating healthy. I had Chick-fil-a and papa johns pizza with some Mountain Dew.
        The only thing besides going through shock was the pain associated with the Biopsy, which at the end of the day subsided. And honestly I could have chosen to be miserable because of my situation, but despite the time spent in the hospital, and the pain, I was able to spend some time with some family and spend some time relaxing. So the day turned out pretty good all in all.
       
     

No comments: