Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Good News

     So today I received some good news. I recently went through some not so fun tests, and I got the results today. The tests were an MRI to check my Kidney,(Yes I mean Kidney, because I only have one) and a Liver biopsy to check for rejection. The reason for the tests are because my blood pressure has been high and my liver enzymes have been elevated.
     The results for my Kidney were very good, it is perfectly healthy. The results from my biopsy were good as well, because they showed no signs of rejection. The only downside is that the biopsy did reveal that I have too much fat on my Liver. So the doctor has suggested that I change my diet and make sure that I am working out at least three times a week.
      These results may not seem like the best news, but it definitely could have been worse. The fact that I don't have any signs of rejection is very good, and because of the nature of my transplant there is a very good chance that I can get taken off my medication completely, but first I need to get down to a healthier weight so I don't risk cirrhosis of my liver.
       Lately I have been realizing how lucky I really am. Most people who have a liver transplant have gone through some rejection, and as far as I can recall I haven't. I did go through quite a rough time though to actually get my new liver. When I did receive my liver I had died on the operating table, which caused part of my new liver to die as well. The doctors say that I lost 50 percent of my liver because of it, so the portion that grew back was mine. So the fact that I am not showing any signs of rejection means that there is a chance that I can get taken on my medication completely. So hopefully after I have gotten myself healthier that will be on option I can discuss with my doctor.
         The great thing about being a Transplant patient is it puts things in perspective. So many people put conditions on their happiness; Income, Leisure Time, How many friends they have, Being right, Getting the best grade, etc . . . While some of these things are good, sometimes we lose perspective on what really matters.  It's good to set goals to attain those things. But the underlying reason should be family, or to better ourselves. Also if you aren't were you want to be, rather than feeling down about it and frustrated try focusing on what you do have. No matter your situation there is always someone who cares about you and will not give up on you.  I know that my heavenly father will not give up on me, or anyone else.




   

No comments: